Back

Darlene E. Kelley
donkeyskid@webtv.net
April 20, 1999
***********************************************************************
Historical Collections of Ohio                    
The Kelley Family Book
compiled by Hermon Alfred Kelley  1897    
And Then They Went West by D. Kelley  1998     (Part 3)
***********************************************  
During the fall of the year 1833, was erected a double log house, used for
a boarding house, which stood upon the bank immediately in front of the 
site of "Island House' at Kelleys Island.  Mr.Luther Dodge, with his 
family, occupied the boarding house upon its completion, he having been 
appointed superintendent of the interests of the Messrs. Kelley, and having
moved to the island a short time previously.  During the winter of this 
year, the present wood dock was commenced, and enough completed to afford a
landing for steamboats, which,in the following spring, commenced
"wooding" therefrom. During the year following, Julius Kelley, son of
Datus, was in charge, and was succeeded by his brother Addison,who, from
that date until the removal to the island of Datus and his family, in
1836, remained in charge of the business of the firm.  A short time
after the building of the south side wood dock, was built a stone dock
at the north side, and a few years subsequently, by Horace Kelley, the
dock that was owned by Charles Carpenter. At this date, and up to the
winter of 1837-8, the island constituted a portion of Danbury, and was
included within the limits of Huron county. During the winter of 1837-8,
was created the county of Erie, and the island, as a part of Danbury
township, was set off into that county.. On the 21st of January,1840, in
accordance with the prayer of a petition to the legislature to that
effect, it was enacted that  all that tract of land and territory of
land known as Cunningham's Island, situated on the south side of Lake
Erie, within the county of Erie, be and the same is, hereby constituted
a township to be known and distinguished as the township of Kelley's
Island."  By section second of the same act, the islands, known as the
Bass Islands, were constituted a township called Van Rensalaer, in the
said county of Erie. On the 6th of March, 1840, was passed the act
creating the county of Ottawa, which county included  within its
boundaries the new island townships of Kelley's Island and Van
Rensalaer.  The first election for organization as the township of
Kelley's Island, was held on "the first Monday in April, " 1840.  The
total number of votes polled was 15.  Chester Stocking, Walter Beardsley
and Ephraim T. Smith were appointed judges, and George C. Huntington and
Addison Kelley, clerks.  Addison Kelley, Oliver Emory and Walter
Beardsley were elected trustees; Horace Kelley, treasurer: Datus Kelley,
clerk: John Titus and Hezekiah Bickford, overseers of the poor: Chester
Stocking,George Wires and Henry Provast, fence viewers; Joseph Willet,
constable; Henry Harris, supervisor of Highways.  George C. Huntington
was elected  justice of the peace, his bonds being filed and accepted on
the 8th of June following.  In May, 1840, " An election was also held for
County of Ottawa, and the returns duly made to the temporary seat of
Justice at Port Clinton." As the population of the island increased, and
as its business connections, from its geographical position, were
entirely wth Sandusky (nothing but legal, township, and jury matters
calling the inhabitants to Port Clinton ), its poitical connection with
Ottawa county became very irksome, and determination was formed to
effect a separation therefrom, and a reinstatement as a township of Erie
county. A petition was therefore, presented to the legislature to that
effect, and in Februrary,1845, was passed an act which " set off that
tract, and territory of land known as Kelley's Island into the county of
Erie."  Thus , within the space of some seven years , the island formed
a component part of two townships and four counties, and it is remarked
" that of four children of Addison Kelley, born in the same house, no
two were natives of the same township and county." 

Back