Back

Darlene E. Kelley
donkeyskid@webtv.net
April 20, 1999
***********************************************************************
Historical Collections of Ohio                    
The Kelley Family Book
compiled by Hermon Alfred Kelley  1897    
And Then They Went West by D. Kelley  1998     (Part 2)
***********************************************  
In 1833, Datus Kelley, in company with his brother Irad, visited 
Cunningham's, now Kelley's Island, on the solicitation of John W. Allen 
of Cleveland,Ohio, who represented General Simon Perkins, who was the 
agent of the Connecticut Land Company. He had been at Norwalk, Ohio, in an
unsuccessful effort to sell a portion of Cunningham Island to Mr. Burr 
Higgins and Captain Juda Ransom of Sandusky. On his return to Cleveland he 
broached the subject to Irad Kelley.  Irad considered the proposition 
favorably and immediately went to visit his brother Datus, and the two 
brothers visited the island on the 12th of July, 1833, to inspect it.  It 
was probable that they interviewed Ellis, Clemons and others on the island,
regarding their tenancy, and found that they made no claims of ownership
and welcomed the coming of responsible men as the Kelleys were, and
urged them to purchase the property and eject Napier, who had been
conducting himself in a high-handed manner.  The first purchase was the
1,444.92-acre holding of Joseph Perkins.  It was for $2,167.38, or $1.50
per acre, in the form of a land contract dated August 20th,1833.  It
provided for the payment to made in four equal yearly installments; but
Datus afterwards gave notes to Charles A.Olmsted of Conn. for the even
sum of $2,000.00.    

Irad gave Datus proper security for his share of the indeptedness.  From 
the foregoing seemingly contradictory records, which appear upon the record 
book of Erie County, we assume that the sale made to the Kelley brothers by 
General Perkins as attorney for the heirs of Joseph Perkins, was not 
altogether satisfactory to them and that Mr.Olmsted was sent out west to 
make a different arrangement.  He visited Datus at his home in Rockport, 
where these notes were signed.  He visited the island also and it was at 
that time he discovered the so-called "inscription Rock".   Another case of 
apparent repudiation of Genenral Perkins' action is that of the Uriah Tracey 
heirs, who gave mortgage on their island lots to Jonathan G.W. Trumbull in 
1838, almost two years after General Pekins had sold the property to the 
Kelley brothers.  The deeds for the Joseph Perkins property on the island 
were not given to Datus and Irad Kelley until May 17th, 1842.  At that time,
the heirs petitioned the court for permission to execute the contract
made previously, by making and delivering a good and sufficent deed
dated back to September 23rd, 1836.   

The petition said, " The said Datus and Irad Kelley stood ready to pay all 
residue not heretofore paid."  It was so ordered by the court.  It was 
after this date the brothers gave their deeds to such as had previously 
acquired land from them on contracts, that was located in lots formerly 
owned by Joseph Pekins.  They got deeds in 1833 and 1834 for 580 acres, for 
which they paid cash, and in 1835 they bought 240 acres of Wm. Edridge for 
cash; the Uriah Tracy property, 444 acres, was acquired in 1836.   The 
records of the transactions are as follows:
***************** 
Aug. 20, 1833, from Gen. S. Perkins, Attorney for Joseph Perkins, 1,444.92 
acres at $1.50. $2,167.38.  Sept 9th.1833, from George Swift, heir of 
Oliver Kinsman, 119.25 acres at $1.60. $200.00.  Aug.21, 1833 Jabes Adams, 
25.25 acres at $3.21, $94.18. Sept.18th,1833, from Richard Coit 309.25 
acres at $1.61, $500.00. Feb 17,1834, from Daniel Tilden's heirs, 117.25 acres at $1.68, $ 200.00.  Sept.3,1834, from John McClellan. 9. acres at 
$5.00, $45.00. Aug 12,1835, from Wm Eldridge, 241 acres at $2.50, $602.50.
Aug 31,1836, from Uriah Tracy heirs by Gen Simon Perkins, Atty.,444 acres,
$1.50.,$666.00. This made the totals as 2,709.92 acres for the price of
$4,475.06.  This accounted for all the acreage except 91 ares in lot No.
1 owned by Richard Coit, which was acquired later.  After the first or
original purchase, Irad Kelley went to New York City, leaving Datus to
look after the management of the island.  In 1837 Datus removed his
family to the island, of which he remained a resident until his death
which occurred on January 24, 1866.       

Back